Monday, January 17, 2011

It's about time.....let's start it off!

Well.....it has taken me some time, but I am FINALLY going to try to do this whole blog thing~

Now that my lil man, Preston, is slowly approaching his FIRST birthday in 3 months I think I defintely need to be documenting his precious life more!!

I never knew if we would make it this far after all the struggles that we faced at the beginning of his life....but we have and we CANNOT imagine life without our PERFECT little boy!
We love you Preston Reid Fite!

Just to sum up Preston's beginnings for you....

Preston was due May 17, 2010...which just happen to be the same date that my mother was due with me, but I was born on May 9th! (How cool was that!) Preston however, was born on April 15, 2010.....

It all started on Saturday, April 10th- I went to get my hair cut before I was going to be having maternity pictures taken, by Kristin Huff, the following day....I woke up that morning just feeling very nauseas (which was not at all normal for me because I was ABSOLUTELY loving every minute of my pregnancy and had not at all been sick throughout it) and threw up a couple times. I was determined to get my hair done before pictures so I went to my appointment and was fine until right at the end of it ....I threw up in the bathroom at the salon! But then I was feeling somewhat okay again like 30 minutes later and my mom and grandmother called and asked if I wanted to go to Olive Garden with them...so I did! And low and behold I could not eat anything there because I just kept feeling like I was going to throw up again and I kept getting a sharp pain in my lower back.....and so it continued and I had to go and ..........in the bathroom there, too!! By the late afternoon that Saturday I was finally feeling "normal" again and we actually went to dinner with some friends at the Cheesecake Factory! Which was AMAZING!
And I went to bed that night fine.....

Then, it all started again....I woke up the same time I had the day before, like 6am, and found my self hovering over the toilet in the bathroom with sharp back pains and nausea! The only difference with it on Sunday morning was that it was never going away like it had the day before and I just could NOT take it anymore! We had to cancel my maternity pictures and Matt took me to the hospital ...which I might add was at Vanderbilt and we lived in Hendersonville.....so we had not even made it passed our house on the road and we were already having to pull over for me to throw up AGAIN!

FINALLY we made it to the hospital at 9am on Sunday, April 11, 2010! But you know how hospitals are...they were making me WAIT until they could get me a room and monitor me......so we waited and waited and I could not take it and I was on the floor on my knees because the pain was so bad and a nurse brought me a "bag" to throw up in.........so they could FINALLY tell that I was in alot of pain and they made room for me then and got me in a room to be monitored!

After this, is where it all gets really hazey to me...I do not rememeber it at all! Apparently they had me on LOTS of pain medicines, mostly morphine...and they thought that I had kidney stones and Preston was only 34 weeks so they were trying to keep him in as long as they could so he could grow and develop more because he was right at the cut off where they do not give the medicine for their lungs if they are not fully developed..they only do this for babies 34 weeks and less. So apparently I went days and days and they kept pumping me full of fluid and morphine ......I have no memory of ANY of this!!! I had gained over 40 pounds in 2 days, I am told, because of all the fluid that was going into me, but none of it was coming out! And I had NEVER passed a kidney stone!! (Therefore, wouldn't you think....um maybe she doesn't have kidney stones) It was Wednesday and I had apparently hit my max for the pain!! They ordered some sort of blowup mattress bed for me, that I am told...DID NOT help at all, and everyone thought they HAVE to get him out NOW!
Well..........they didn't! The doctors decided that they wanted to give him a little more time! Preston had gained 6 ounces by now from when we were first admitted into the hospital on Sunday. He was now weighing 5 pounds, 12 ounces. Later this night the "high risk" doctors said that they were taking over my case!

Thursday came and almost went.....then I apparently started turning some colors and my kidneys were failing! They had FINALLY decided that they only way that they had any hope to save both of us was to do an emergency c-section, but because of the state that I was in that I would have to be put to sleep and Matt would not be allowed into the operating/delievery room. They had the nursery and NICU all waiting.....
It was a incredible...immediately when Preston was taken out my kidneys started functioning again and the fluid began coming out! I had lost like 6-8 pounds instantly!
Basically I don't know all of the "terms" but Preston was sitting on something that releases the fluid and the only way to 'cure' it was to take him out!

I was taken to the SICU to recover for a day.....Preston was taken to the NICU.
He was born April 15, 2010 at 9:49 pm, weighing 5 pounds 12 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long! (Which was actually a really good size to be a 35 weeker)

I had NO IDEA what all had happened or where my baby was. It was the day after and I was finally coming to and kind of knew what was going on. Matt did not want to tell me that Preston was in the NICU; so he didn't. I found out later that night on the 16th. But I never knew the extent of it. (But apparently it was really touch and go with him)

Preston had alot that he was haivng to face, most of which I still believe "they" caused, due to dosing me up on morphene and every thing else for days while he was still in me!

A few of Preston's obstacles he had to overcome: pulmonary hypertension, brain bleed, on 100% oxygen, enlarged ventricles,meningitis, feeding tube, .....

He was in the hospital for 33 days.......He FINALLY came home on May 18, 2010! We could not have been more thrilled!!
We were FINALLY going to actually see what it felt like to "really" be parents!
He still had to have routined dr. visits pretty frequent for a while but he was given the clear to start daycare when he turned 6 months!

And here we are 9 months old.....and he is doing GREAT!!! Pictures to come soon to sum up Preston's journey of life to this point!

We are so BLESSED!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Kristin! Love the look of your blog! Gonna come back and visit when I have time to read all the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad i found your blog and am getting to read all the details. that all sounds so scary and crazy, especially not being coherent enough to know what was happening. Yay for you both being ok though!

    ReplyDelete